Tcr no5 – first thoughts….
I’ve not read anything in detail, but this is what leaps out
Romania – fuck that’s a long way East and feels very foreign sitting on a train in London. Thoughts of Romanian orphanages, gypsies.. The unknown and stereo typical.
Bulgaria. Oh fuck. The odd street view of Bulgarian roads = lorries or potholed/cobbles monstrosities, or both together. oh
High Tatras, low Tatras in Slovakia – never even heard of them
ie its the usual mix of known, (4000k, 40000m climbing), the unknown (anywhere south / east of Italian / Austria alps. It looks a little flatter than this year, but a little longer.
START // GERAARDSBERGEN | BELGIUM
– 646k, 6000m climbing. The black forrest is apparently to be avoided if possible as its constant hills…. France will be shut as usual
Belgium, France, Germany
CP1 // SCHLOSS LICHTENSTEIN | GERMANY
– 578k, 9500m climbing. Into the alps!, and a pointless up and down climb up monte grappa at the end – Wikipedia’s entry for Monte Grappa starts with the following – ‘Monte Grappa is considered one of the most difficult Italian cycling climbs’ oh. Its gonna be a hard section as I have to get accross the alps from north to south first.
Germany, Austria, Italy
CP2 // MONTE GRAPPA | ITALY
– 988k, 9000m climbing. Out of the alps. Does not look too bad at first glance….. but we are heading east
Italy, Austria, Hungary, Slovakia (up to 7 countries)
CP3 // HIGH TATRAS MOUNTAINS | SLOVAKIA
– 810k, 7700m climbing – Slovakia, Hungary, Romania – includes climb up to the Transfagarasan highway – looks a highlight.
CP4 // TRANSFAGARASAN HIGHWAY | ROMANIA
– 1020k, 10000m climbing. The longest and probably most unfamiliar section. Includes a sting in the tail in Greece. Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece – 11 different counties in all.
FiNISH // METEORA | GREECE
Logistics to/from Meteora look a nightmare, but it looks a cracking place to finish.
Oh and I entered yesterday. The major issue is now getting in – the race has over 1000 entrants for 250 places, and I pulled out last year, so will I get in this year….?
I am already thinking of back up plans (trans am..??)